Grand Manan Home Gutted By Fire

Posted on Monday, January 15, 2018 17:03 PM

A fire in North Head on Grand Manan has gutted a home.

That from the Canadian Red Cross which says the fire was reported just after 11am on Sunday at 143 Highway 776.

A couple and their four-year-old son were not home at the time of the blaze so nobody was hurt.

They're staying with a relative and disaster volunteers with the Red Cross are helping out with emergency purchases like clothing and food.

The Red Cross also helped out after a furnace oil leak in a home in Mill Brook.

A family of five was evacuated from their home over the weekend after the oil leak in the house they rent a few kilometres south of Sussex. 

The Red Cross says that fire officials checked fuel vapour levels and recommended the family, a couple and their three children, leave the house until the leak could be fixed, the spilled fuel and any other damage cleaned up and the house ventilated. A process that could take one or two days.

One child was checked briefly at hospital for exposure to the fumes but was then released.

Photo: Map Data ©2018 Google