Moncton Pharmacist Fined For Dispensing Error Contributing To Patient Death

Posted on Friday, February 2, 2018 16:09 PM

A Moncton pharmacist has been fined by the New Brunswick College of Pharmacists after a dispensing error that contributed to the death of a patient in long-term care.

The publicly released report shows a prescription dispensed from Ford's Pharmacy for baclofen suspension was five times the labeled concentration.

The medication, a muscle relaxant, was administered for seven days before the long-term care home nurse suspected something might be wrong with the baclofen suspension.

The Coroner stated baclofen overdose as a contributing factor in the patient's death.

The College of Pharmacists investigation revealed a lack of staff training or policy regarding prescription dispensing.

Ford's Pharmacy manager Peter Ford was fined $5,000, and the reprimand and report will stay public for the next two years.

On top of the fine, Ford must pay $8,000 for part of the cost of the investigation and complaint process.

The full public report can be found HERE.