UPDATED: Saint John Will Get A New 60-Bed Nursing Home

Posted on Monday, February 5, 2018 13:15 PM

Premier Brian Gallant announcing that a new 60-bed nursing home will be built somewhere in Saint John.

The premier unveiled the news this afternoon at the Nick Nicolle Community Centre in the city's north end.

It's part of the five-year nursing home plan announced last week, which will see ten 60-bed nursing homes built throughout the province.

"All of this will be with the idea of putting out the RFPs over the next few months," says Gallant, "and we hope that the projects will begin and construction will begin in 2018."

The nursing homes will be built using the public-private partnership, or P3 model, which Gallant says is a good way to get the infrastructure built quickly and strategically.

As part of the nursing home plan, a further 400 special care home beds will also be created for people living with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia.

Gallant says he knows how important these investments are because his mother had to care for their grandparents, who had Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

"It was a great help, there's no doubt about it, it allowed them to stay in their home in Shediac Bridge longer," he says. "But I also saw the toll that it took on our family in many ways, emotionally and also financially as my mother quit her job to be able to take care of my grandparents."

Gallant also announced today that Charlotte County will get 18 memory care beds for people with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia in the next year.